The secret to make Brazilians like you... instantly
Brazilians love when a person from another country speaks (or tries to speak) Portuguese. If you approach them speaking Portuguese, you will immediately get them on your side.
There are three main reasons for this:
1. You are not assuming they speak English - you'd be surprised to know that the majority of Brazilians don't speak English (it's estimated that only 3% of the Brazilian population is fluent in English).
2. You are not assuming they speak Spanish - some Brazilians will actually take offense if you speak to them in Spanish, they might see it as a sign that you don't respect their individual identity within Latin America.
3. You are showing that you made an effort to learn their language, even if just the basics - Brazilians normally find it unusual for people from other countries to want to learn Brazilian Portuguese so when they meet someone who is at least trying to speak their language, they absolutely love it.
After you take this course you will...
1. Be able to start a conversation with a Brazilian with confidence, by learning the key phrases and structures that are part of everyday, colloquial conversation (with downloadable PDF notes), such as
• Saying How are you?
• Introducing yourself
• Saying Thank you
• Saying Goodbye
2. Be able to speak 'real' Brazilian Portuguese by learning some crucial pronunciation tips and tricks that will make you sound more fluent.
3. Be able to understand Brazilians better, by knowing the most common phrases used by Brazilians in colloquial conversation and how they actually speak in real life (as opposed to contrived course book conversation examples).
4. Be more likable to Brazilians by showing that you can speak some important everyday phrases in Portuguese, not having to immediately resort to English or Spanish.
Fernando is a Brazilian Portuguese Teacher, Translator & Interpreter based in London. He was born in Porto Alegre, Brazil. After he graduated from university, he visited London as a tourist and liked it so much that he moved back to train to be a teacher, translator and interpreter. In his 20 years of experience he has helped many people on their journey to learn Brazilian Portuguese. Teaching is his passion and he is proud to have taught Brazilian Portuguese to staff from British Airways, BBC, Sotheby’s, Fine Line Film Distribution, among many others.